If you are looking for a way to backup all of your documents, images, and other files you’ve stored on Google Drive. Then you’re on the right place. Because this article we will discuss multiple ways to backup Google Drive data to local computers.
So without further ado, let’s get started.
Why Backup Google Drive Data?
One of the biggest reason for the backup is that. Google is not responsible for backing up your data, in case of any data breach you will end up loosing all your important data in no time, which can be a real disaster if you own a business.
There are multiple reason why a user may be willing to make a backup of their Google Drive data. Let’s discuss some of the most common reasons –
- Offline Data Accessing – User may be willing to store data offline to access it even without any internet connection, anywhere and anytime. Because you never know when you may need your data.
- Data Protection and Security – In this digital world, Hackers are increasing everyday, and it really doesn’t matter you’re a personal user or have a business that holds multiple users. A Hacker can easily hack into your system, and completely delete your important data.
- Space problem – Google Drive is one of best cloud storage platform that is available free, people loves Google Drive because of simplicity and functionality. But the main issue is storage part, it offers only 15 Gb of free cloud space. So, to increase Gmail storage space, user needs to backup data from their Google Drive.
So from above mentioned reason we can conclude that, Google Drive data backup is necessary no matter if you’re a personal user or a business organisation. One must take the backup of to avoid any type of data breach.
Methods to Backup Google Drive Data Successfully to Computer
- Manual Downloading – From Google Drive Application
- Google Takeout – In-build Application to Download Data
- Automated Solution – Third-Party App to Backup Data
Method 1: Manually Backup Data From Google Drive
Manual Downloading is one of the best free way to backup your Drive data, if you have a small amount of personal data. This is probably one of the simplest and fully manual method to make a backup of your Google Drive data into your device or an external storage like, HDD, SDD or Pendrive, etc.
Here’s how one can do a Google Drive data backup to an external storage or on your device:
Step 1: Open Google Drive in your Browser or go to this link – Google Drive and enter your login ID credentials.
Step 2: Now click on My Drive option on the top left corner.
Step 3: Now select all the files and folders that you need to backup. You can select all the files by pressing CTRL + A in [Windows] and for [Mac] press CMD + A.
Step 4: Click on the three dot icon on the right corner of the top bar and click on “Download” option. Or Right-click anywhere on your selected files or folder to reveal a list of options and then click on “Download” option.
And you’re done, just wait for it download. This may take some time as it depends upon the size of your File and Folder you’re downloading.
Method 2: Using Google Takeout to Download Drive Data
You can use Google Takeout to create a one time backup of each file and folder stored in Google Drive. It is a free service provided by Google.
Here’s how one can get started with the Google Takeout service:
Step 1: Sign-in to your targeted Google account in your Browser, by entering login ID credentials.
Step 2: Get on to this link: https://takeout.Google.com/
As you click on the link a “Google Takeout” page will appear. Scroll down until you see a list of data you can backup. Now under Product option click on “Deselect all” as we only want to download Google Drive data.
Step 3: Now scroll Down and select “Drive” & then click on the “Next step”.
Step 4: In next window, choose File type, frequency & destination option on your screen will appear.
- To select delively option, click on the down arrow icon to choose between following options
- Send download link via email
- Add on Google Drive
- Add on Dropbox
- Add on OneDrive
- Add to box
- File type & Size:- In this you can select the file format and size. By default the maximum file size is set to 50 GB for “.tgz” and 2GB for “.zip”. Although you can choose the file size option by clicking down on the down arrow, from (1GB to 50Gb).
- Frequency – This option determines the time mark, that in how many months or time one would like to re-export or download the data, select the desired option.
Now, scroll down and click on the button “Create export”. And wait for it to process. Once your export is made click on “Download”. And that’s how one can create a backup of Google Drive data by using Google Takeout.
Method: 3 Backup Complete Data From Google Drive
One of the most reliable and best method to backup Google Drive data to your device is by using an automated tool. Such as – SysTools Google Drive Backup Software, Automated tools are much faster than other above backup options, and these third party tool comes with some extra features too.
Following are the features of Automated Tool:
- No file size restriction.
- CSV Report are generated, once the entire Google Docs backup is completed.
- It provides freedom to backup Google Drive to Desktop/Mac/Hard drive/USB/ SSD, etc.
- Provides an option to Pause & Resume for uninterrupted procedure of data backup.
- Backup Google Docs/Images from Google Drive/Spreadsheets Slides.
As now you know features of SysTools Google Drive Backup tool. Let’s discuss how one can perform the backup process.
So following are the steps one should consider to backup his/her Google Drive data while using this tool –
Step 1: Download and Install the SysTools Google Drive Backup software.
Step 2: Login into the Software using your targeted Google Account login credentials. And hit “Login” button. And allow all the permisions it ask for your google account.
Step 3: Activate the tool by clicking on “Activate” tab and proceed further.
Step 4: Now after activating tool select the Category as “Document” to backup Google Drive Data only.
Step 5: Now browse the destination location to save the backup data.
Step 6: This is the last step, click on the “Start” button to begin the backup processes. Wait till the process is 100% complete. Then hit complete, and you’re done.
In this article we have represented you some of the best method to backup your Google Drive data. One can use any method to backup the data. But it is highly recommended that, when it comes to data one should never compromise and use professional third party Google Drive Backup tool, to backup their, that’s all.