One of the biggest issues due to a storm tends to be damaged due to water. It is important to understand that water can cause a great deal of damage to the property, especially if the gutters are clogged or pipes are broken. Some of the vital signs of a major issue with a house include detecting a high moisture level. When not alerted about this issue it can lead to massive destruction and loss to the property, timely reaction to this issue can save a lot of damage without burning a hole in your pocket in maintenance care.
Storms and bad weather tend to cause a great deal of damage to a house, especially a roof. However, not all houses are affected in the same way, hence damage assessment is a vital first step towards restoration. This article lists common types of roof damage and the preventive measures for those in Richmond for storm damage.
Common Types of Roof Damage
A storm can wreak havoc on your property as can other types of bad weather like hail, heavy wind, rain, etc. It is best to take cover in your home in such conditions however, it is also important to assess the damage done to your house after the storm has blown over. Listed are some of the common issues to look out for after a storm:
- The type of damage depends on the severity of a storm or strength of winds. One of the most common uses is blow off shingles due to heavy winds, hence it is a good idea to inspect a roof for missing shingles from both on the roof and on the ground.
- Hail is not likely to severely damage your property however, it is still necessary to check your roof for damage after a hail storm.
- One of the other issues to check is for cracks, dents, holes, and chips on the structure of the house which might not be immediately evident.
- For houses with an outdoor structure like a garage of a shed, the homeowners will also need to inspect these structures for damage. Tarp covering is likely to be damaged and there can also be holes or dents in it. Thus thorough inspection of this might be necessary.
Preventive Measures one should take
Depending on where you live and the severity of the weather conditions, homeowners are bound to prepare their houses to defend them against the storms and reduce the amount of damage they cause. One way to do this is the hunt for good Richmond roofing companies. There is little one can do to control the storm however, there are several steps a homeowner can take to lessen the damage it is likely to cause. Some of the preventive measures one can take are listed here:
- Inspect the property for any damaged or missing singles since those are likely to break free or break in case of a storm and cause more damage to your property. The best step to take in the case where you do find an issue with the shingles is to immediately replace them.
- One of the other important preventive measures is to fix and lose sidings that you find and fix any existing damage that you might find.
- Gutters are often the reason why a property might be damaged and water damage can work out quite expensive. It is thus vital to ensure the free-flowing of the gutters and any downspouts in close proximity of your property.
- One of the other reasons to take all necessary precautions against water damage is that water damage can also result in the devaluation of your property.
- It is also a good idea for homeowners to stock any equipment that they are likely to need to limit the damage during a storm that includes a pump to drain out the water fast.
- Seal the doors and windows shut to prevent high winds from damaging your roof.
- A loose fence that is not nailed properly or comes loose due to some reason can cause a lot of damage. This should be fixed prior to a storm.
- Trimming your trees, especially the really tall ones will also work to your advantage.